What has been going on…
It has been a while since I have posted but I can answer that by saying a lot and not so much. Not long after my last post I got the spine added to the mechanical cat rig completing version 4. Eventually I will go back and do another version with some improvements. Besides that, I have been doing a mix of my own work and work for a project. Among things I have done on my own is a new rig for the dragon model from a couple of years ago. I made some changes to the model that make it more appealing but there are still some changes with the pose that would help the rig. Another thing I did was take the props rigging course mentored by Jeff Brodsky through Rigging Dojo. The primary project for the course was a rope bridge like the one seen in Horton Hears a Who. The result of it can be seen now in my reel.
Now about that project I mentioned. In May, an animator I follow on Twitter put out a call for character riggers to help with a collaboration on a short. I sent him an email with my reel and he asked me if I wanted to join as they liked my reel. I’m not going to share much more than that but I have been working on one of the characters for a few months now and it is coming along nicely. The whole process has been a great learning experience giving me the chance to create something, hand it over to the animators to get their feedback, then making the changes or figuring out how to add in the features they want.
I think that is about it for now. I’ll post again soon about a system I created to go along with the project rig as well as the variable FK system created by Jeff Brodsky that I have been using.